Places of interest
PLACES OF INTEREST
The best of the Costa Brava. 10 activities for a weekend (or longer)
Beach, excursions, outdoor sports, tourism... Evidently the best of the Costa Brava involves the unlimited number of available leisure options.
Here at the Park Hotel San Jorge of Platja d'Aro, we have prepared a list of 10 activities to make the most of your weekend. We already know that you will most likely want to do them all again or relive a wonderful weekend bathed in the Mediterranean sea’s radiance.
10 activities on the Costa Brava
Here is our selection of the 10 best activities to do in the Costa Brava:
- We start with a list of the beaches and coves that visitors rated highest.
- Then we continue in the outdoors with many water sports: paddle surfing, surfing, kiteboarding,... The reception of our 4-star superior hotel will be delighted to inform you about the schools or spots where you can practice these sports.
- Additionally, the Costa Brava is famous for its walking trails that run alongside the sea and link one cove to another with superb views.
- There are also many specially designed routes for cycling or mountain bike riding, or if you want an option requiring less effort, a burricleta, which is an electric bicycle
- Golf lovers will, of course, find some of Europe’s best golf courses close to the Park Hotel San Jorge.
- There are places for shopping fans too. You will find a shopping tour here so you can buy both local fashion and the best international brand garments.
- For other tourism options, we strongly recommend visiting Girona (just over thirty minutes drive by car from the hotel). The capital of one of 4 Catalan provinces, some scenes of the 6th season of Game of Thrones were filmed here and it has one of the best-preserved Jewish neighbourhoods in Spain.
- The Ruins of Ampúrias in the municipality of l’Escala are important from a historical standpoint too. It is the Iberian peninsula’s only archaeological site where remains from the Greek civilisation and a Roman city are found together.
- Alternatively, if you are an art lover. You must visit The Dali Triangle. The great legacy of the painter from Empordà, Salvador Dalí is found in the following three spaces: the Dalí Theatre and Museum in Figueres (with a large collection of surrealist works, along with the Dalí-Jewellery section pieces); the Salvador Dalí Museum-House, in Portlligat, Cadaqués (where you can see his residence-workshop, and the artist’s personal objects and furniture); and the Gala Dalí Castle Museum-House in Púbol, in the district of La Pera (which Dalí gave to his muse, Gala, and where she is buried).
- Lastly, but just as fun, we encourage you to go wine tasting, given that Empordà has its own denomination of origin and a delicious product, DO Empordà.